RUTHERFORD COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
ADMINISTRATIVE RULES, REGULATIONS, GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
SUBJECT: Teacher/Principal Evaluation Grievance Procedure
Per Tennessee Code Annotated § 49-1-302 principals and teachers may challenge the following relative to evaluations:
· Accuracy of the data
· Adherence to the evaluation policies adopted by the State Board of Education
The following process shall be followed when grievances are filed under this procedure:
Step 1 –Grievance reviewed by the Evaluator
· A written grievance must be submitted to the evaluator no later than fifteen (15) days from the date teachers and principals receive the results from each component: (1) qualitative appraisal (2) student growth measures and (3) other measures of student achievement. If not submitted within the applicable time the grievance will be considered untimely and invalid.
· Grievance forms will be provided on the system’s website and in the Human Resources office. Grievances may be submitted in other formats if all required components are included.
· The following components are required in each grievance filed:
o Teacher or principal’s name, position, school and additional title, if any;
o Name of immediate supervisor;
o Name of evaluator/reviewer;
o Date the challenged summative evaluation was received;
o Evaluation period in question;
o Basis for the grievance;
o Corrective action desired by grievant;
o Sufficient facts or other information to begin an investigation.
· A failure to state specific reasons will result in the grievance being considered improperly filed and invalid.
- After receiving the grievance the Evaluator shall:
- Examine the documentation presented by the grievant and such other documentation as may be relevant and available (Investigation and fact finding);
- Communicate a decision, in writing, to the grievant within fifteen (15) days of receipt of the grievance;
- To allow disputes to be resolved at the lowest level possible, the Evaluator may take any action necessary, based on the circumstances, to immediately correct any procedural errors made in the evaluation process.
Step II-Grievance reviewed by Director or Schools or his/her Designee who shall have had no input or involvement in the evaluation for which the grievance has been filed.
- A written grievance and a copy of the decision rendered at Step I must be submitted by the grievant to the Director of Schools or designee no later than fifteen (15) days of receipt of the decision rendered in Step I. A designee may not be used if the grievant is a principal.
- After receiving the grievance the Director of Schools will:
- Hold informal discussion with the grievant;
- Hear facts, allegation and testimony by appropriate witnesses as soon as practical;
- Communicate a decision, in writing, to the grievant within (15) days of the discussion with the grievant;
- To allow disputes to be resolved at the lowest level possible, the Director of Schools may take any action necessary, based on the circumstances, to immediately correct any procedural errors made in the evaluation process.
Step III-Grievance reviewed by the Board of Education
- Teachers and principals may request a hearing before the Board of Education by submitting a written grievance and all relevant documentation to the Board of Education within fifteen (15) days of receipt of the decision rendered in Step II.
- After receiving the grievance, the Board, based upon review of the record, may:
- Grant or deny a request for a full Board hearing;
- Affirm or overturn the decision of the Director of Schools with or without a hearing before the Board.
- If a full Board hearing is granted, the Board will:
- Hold such hearing no later than thirty (30) days after the receipt of a request for a hearing;
- Give written notice of the time and place of the hearing to the grievant, Director of Schools and all administrators involved;
- Communicate its decision, in writing, to all parties no later than thirty (30) days after the conclusion of the hearing.
- The Board of Education shall serve as the final step for all grievances.
For more information regarding evaluations and grievances you may view the Tennessee Rules and Regulations for evaluations at www.tn.gov/sos/rules/0520/0520-02/0520-02-01.20110729.pdf
Approved by Director of Schools July 9, 2012