PROCEDURES and GUIDELINES OF THE RCS HOMEBOUND PROGRAM
The purpose of the Homebound program is to provide instruction while the student is physically or psychologically incapable of participation in regular classroom activities.
The parent/guardian is responsible for the completion and return of the Homebound packet, unless student is 18 years of age or older. All forms must be returned completed and signed before the packet can be reviewed by the Homebound Committee. Placement in the Homebound program is a temporary intervention. All students should return to a regular school placement where the least restrictive educational experience can be provided as soon as possible.
Homebound Services will provide the qualified student two sessions per week with a teacher in the home, each session lasting 1½ hours. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) are responsible for assisting their child by following the procedures listed below:
- The parent/guardian, or responsible adult of at least 18 years of age, MUST be present in the home during the ENTIRE instructional period. Homebound students will receive their instruction either at the home or residence of the parent/guardian who requests the service or at the hospital. Alternative arrangements for instruction at a different location must be authorized by the supervisor of the Homebound program.
- The student will have any necessary nursing/medical care before the teacher’s arrival.
- A quiet work area, equipped with a table or desk and chairs, must be provided for use of the student and teacher during scheduled class times. If the student is bedridden, a specified place near the bed must be arranged for teaching materials.
- The necessary school materials (pen, pencils, paper, textbooks, etc.) are to be available.
- All parties in the home should be appropriately dressed throughout the Homebound session.
- The teacher and the student are not to be disturbed during the instructional period.
- A regular program of study and preparation of lessons is required for each student. In addition to the two 1½ hour sessions of instruction provided by the Homebound teacher, the student will be expected to complete assignments on his/her own time. Assignments must be completed prior to the Homebound teacher’s next scheduled visit.
- All work completed while on Homebound will be returned to the school for grading.
- The Homebound program adheres to the school board policy on attendance. All absences will be reported to the attendance office. Doctor’s excuses are required for all absences.
- Updated medical information may be requested periodically.
- The Genesis Homebound Department must be notified by 4:30 p.m. on the day prior to a scheduled appointment or any situation necessitating the student’s absence. Emergency absences may be reported between 4:30 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. by dialing (615) 832-4222. A secretary will return your call.
- A verification form must be signed by the adult present during Homebound instruction.
- No student placed in the Homebound Program should be actively engaged in employment. Such employment may result in the student’s removal from the Homebound Program.
- No student placed in the Homebound Program is to visit his school campus unless specifically authorized by the school administration. Students are not to attend extracurricular activities such as school dances and sporting events unless specifically authorized by the principal of the school. Attendance at such activities without prior written authorization may result in the student’s removal from the Homebound Program
- At the end of your child’s Homebound placement, a survey will be sent from Genesis Learning Centers for you to evaluate their portion of the program. When the survey arrives, please take time to complete it and return it ASAP.
Below are the forms that comprise the Homebound Application Packet. ***Please note that the Health Care Provider form for PREGNANCY is different than that for other conditions.
You may print these out and return them to Sarah Winters at fax # (615) 904-3797.
Contact Sarah Winters at 615-893-5815, ext. #22077 or e-mail WintersSa@rcschools.net with any questions or if you need a packet mailed/faxed to you.